Friday, June 05, 2009

Jane Austen

I've always loved Price and Prejudice though it's been years since I read it. I blame that on the great BBC series which has replaced the need to reread. Especially as my youngest girl fell in love with the series and over the last 12 months I've watched it many many times. Also the Keira Knightley version which I also love. Matthew McFayden does a brilliant job of Mr. Darcey as does Keira of Elizabeth!

A few weeks ago I decided that I needed to do more than watch P&P on DVD yet again and started reading Sense & Sensibility. It took a while to get into though I'm not sure if that's the seeming bog of characters in the beginning or the fact that I was dead tired. At any rate, get into it I did and I ended up loving it. My favourite characters were the Palmers! I'd love to get a glimpse into their lives. I think those two understand each other very well.

Yesterday, I went to the bookshop to buy Northanger Abbey. Mainly because I can never get it from the library. I came out with Emma . My eldest daughter tells me this is the worst of Austen's novels, but I don't care. It has a wonderful cover. Congratulations, Word Press, it's a great publication. I haven't even read it yet, I'm too busy admiring the cover - just holding it makes me feel good. It's plain black with only Jane Austen and Emma embossed on the front. There's a lovely illustration inside with several introductions and other info inside. I don't care much about that either, I just enjoy the simplicity and feel of the cover!

I'll start reading it this weekend. I'm looking forward to the discovery.

No comments: