Sunday, July 01, 2007

This post has just come up at Modern Matriarch. Go visit her blog for some samples of spoken poetry. This is a great idea and I hope it really catches on.

Modern Matriarch

Poetry: the Spoken Word
Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 in reading, audio clips, literature, poetry, writing, blogging

Poetry is an artform ment to be spoken; ment to be heard with the ear not scanned with the eyes. Hearing the words roll off the lips of the poet gives the poetry a new dimension. There is a texture in the emphasis, in the rhythm, in the pregnant pause that can not be duplicated on paper.

A fellow poet from Editred recorded some of her poetry on a my music page. A myspace service originally intended for indie musicians, my music has been co-opted by poets seeking an outlet for their spoken word. It’s a fascinating trend that I hope will gain ground, perhaps even inspire a dedicated service (please let me know if there is already one I don’t know about).

No comments: